Historic District Commission
The Historic District Commission generally meets on the third Monday of each month, for a list of upcoming and past agendas, click here.
Chapter 13 of the City of Jackson Code of Ordinances, authorized in 1998, creates the HDC.
The Historic District Commission is guided by 5 principles that are focused on preserving the history and beautifying the City of Jackson.
- To safeguard the heritage of the city by preserving a historic district, including areas, sites, landmarks, buildings, structures, objects, resources, and works of art which reflect elements of Jackson’s cultural, social, economic, political and/or architectural history
- To stabilize and improve property values in the historic district
- To foster civic beauty
- To strengthen the local economy
- To promote the use of the historic district for the education, pleasure, and welfare of Jackson citizens and the State of Michigan
Historic Property Renovations
All historic district property owners must obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness from the HDC in order to make external renovations prior to applying for city permits.
Projects that Require HDC Review
- Replacing roofing, flashing, or gutters
- Replacing or installing siding
- Installing new or replacement windows
- Reconstructing areas of masonry walls, chimneys, floors, etc.
- Reconstructing all or part of a porch
- Installing any new exterior doors (other than storm doors), such as garage doors or security doors
- Installing or replacing signage, including awnings
- Cleaning the building
- Demolishing all or part of a building, including garages
Members of the Historic District Commission are chosen by the mayor of Jackson and are confirmed by the City Council. These citizens are appointed to 3-year terms, with 2 appointees having to represent duly organized local historical and/or preservation societies. Also, 1 member must be an architect, or graduate of an accredited school of architecture, with at least 2 years of experience if such a person is available. These 7 citizens serve on the Historic District Commission without compensation and are eligible for reappointment after their terms are complete.
Phone: (517) 768-6433
3rd Floor City Hall
161 W. Michigan Ave.
Jackson, MI 49201
Meetings are generally organized for 6 p.m. on the 3rd Monday of each month in the 2nd Floor City Hall Council Chambers, 161 W. Michigan Ave., Jackson, MI 49201.