City-Owned Property Sales

City Property Sales Infographic

About City Property Sales 

The City of Jackson oversees the rehabilitation and sale of City-owned properties, as well as City-owned vacant lots. City property sales are administered by the City Manager’s Office, with final approval coming from the Jackson City Council. Lisa Moutinho, Administrative Assistant for the City Manager, is the main contact for City property sales. Her contact information is listed on this page. 

Bidding on City-Owned Property

Properties that have an existing structure on them, such as a house or commercial building, that are up for sale are displayed in the online City of Jackson Bid Center through our Purchasing Division. Only properties that are actively up for bids will display on the site. 

Sign up for notifications about City property sales through our Notify Me! Email Communication System. You can receive email notifications when a property is listed for sale. 

Please review the Example List of Improvements for Rehabs (PDF) to understand the work that will be required for obtaining City-owned property. 

Property for Sale 

The City of Jackson works with local realtors to sell properties on the open market. If any of these properties are for sale, they will be listed on this page and through the Purchasing Division

Buying Vacant Lots 

Here are the qualifications for buying a vacant City-owned lot. 

  • The request to purchase is submitted by the City of Jackson residential property owner(s).
  • The vacant property is immediately adjacent to the property of the requestor.
  • The requestor does not have outstanding bills/fees/citations owed to the City. To see if there are any outstanding bills/fees/citations with the City, search your name in the City of Jackson BS&A online platform. 
  • The property does not lie on a major street or tributary throughout the City of Jackson. 
  • The property wasn’t taken from the requestor through foreclosure.

There are other eligibility requirements but that is where the process is started.  Should you be interested in submitting an offer, please include your offer purchase price with your request. A minimum offer of $300 is required, the City may counter with a higher dollar amount.  The request will have to come from the property owner. To submit a request please complete the Request to Purchase City Property Form (FILLABLE PDF) with the property owner’s name address, phone number, offer price, desired use of the property and signature.

Identifying a Vacant Lot

Not all vacant lots are owned by the City of Jackson. Even though there is no longer a structure on a lot, it could still be privately owned. Some lots have signage that indicate they are owned by the City, but this practice has fallen out of use by the City. 

To identify a City-owned lot that could be purchased, visit the Jackson County, MI Tax Parcel Viewer. Search an address in this online tool, selected the parcel you searched for, and find adjacent properties. Owner information will be provided with the parcel. 

A photo example is provided of a vacant property at 1046 Greenwood Ave. that’s owned by the City. 

Vacant property example

Properties Held by John George Home or Homes for Hardest Hit Program 

The City is taking requests for properties that are held by our Blight Reduction Partner John George Home. These properties are a part of a grant program administrated by the MSHDA (Michigan State Housing Development Authority). When approved the State applies the cost of the demolition as a lien against the property. 

The length of the lien is generally 5 years, during the time of the lien the City of Jackson will be unable to sell the property. Once the length of the lien has run out, the State of Michigan will submit a letter to John George Home and the lien will be released. At that time the City can begin processing sales requests. 

We encourage anyone interested in submitting a request to purchase a John George Home held property to submit your request to the 14th floor of City Hall with the same information that is requested for City owned vacant lots. The City will review the request for approval once the lien is released on that property.

City Property Sales promotional graphic 

Contact Us

  1. Lisa Moutinho 

    Administrative Assistant to the City Manager 


    City Manager's Office 
    14th Floor of Jackson City Hall 
    161 W. Michigan Ave. 
    Jackson, MI 49201 

    Staff Directory